For as we grow older we realise that our journey - subtly and maybe not so subtly impinges upon us our life’s learnings and lessons - guiding us towards
(we trust) - a fulfilled life.
Now we are ‘ready’ wanting to pass on all of this accumulated wisdom and knowingness.
In a world where we were once immersed in values, and virtues, where ethics and principles were embedded in our life’s passage, (many as a result the teachings
of Christianity) and naturally by good ‘conscious’ - parenting, the moral of our story is this.
We need a warm loving (extended) family to be born into, this being the fertile ground of connection where we learn the social skills of communication
and to be a fulfilled balanced participant in society. Even to the extent of having scruples!
The above may make you laugh, having scruples will at least engender a wry smile because in many ways our society has forgotten or omitted many keys to
parenting and bringing children into the world, and thus ‘a great turn around’ is now in process.
Many people reading this who are in their 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and most definitely in their 90’s know of another way of life in how we were brought up to have
been instilled with ‘good habits’ - and discipline.
Yes life was in many ways authoritarian in those days and there were instances when we got more than ‘a clip over the ear’ - or a whack where it hurt -
but this was only part of it.
There were other learnings and this in many ways is addressed and discussed today in ‘Aging to Saging’.
The regenerating of the world in bringing ‘old knowledge and wisdom forward’ and empowering the youth of today to reclaim back our planet - (their planet
and future) and bring forth a new paradigm of peace, prosperity as well as goodwill.
Sage-ing as a Spiritual Practice
Sage-ing is a spiritual practice that involves harvesting the wisdom of our lives and finding ways to transmit that wisdom as a legacy to future generations.
In developing an elder spiritual practice we pursue the path proposed by Rabbi Zalman Schacter in his seminal book From Age-ing to Sage-ing which involves, through introspection, the following:
- Examining our attitudes and fears about aging and our culture’s stereotypes and claiming our rights to promoting and practicing a new paradigm
- Connecting to our inner wisdom through growth techniques of psychology and spirituality including meditation, contemplation, journaling and spiritual
- Learning to nourish ourselves physically, emotionally, mentally, socially and spiritually
- Drawing on the wisdom of what we know now, examining our past through a ‘life review’ process and ‘life repair’ exercises
- Gaining an understanding that forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves, we learn to forgive those who have offended us, ask forgiveness of those we
have offended and practice self-forgiveness above all else
- We face our own mortality with courage and serenity
- We identify ways in our own lives to serve as mentors and healers
What is Sage-ing?
Sage-ing International is a community of elders and elders-to-be who are ready to explore new ways of aging.
Beginning as a networking organization for professionals, they have expanded their focus, reaching out to everyone approaching or in the second half
Their vision includes teaching/learning, service and community as three vitally important aspects of the sage-ing journey.
This is a Definition of an Elder:
An elder is a person
Who is still growing, still a learner,
Still with potential and
Whose life continues to have within it
Promise for and
Connection to the future.
An elder is still in pursuit of
Happiness, joy and pleasure,
And her or his birthright to these
Moreover, an elder is a person
Who deserves respect and honor and
Whose work it is to synthesize wisdom
From long life experience and
Formulate this into a legacy for